Book Review: "When the Sandpiper Calls" by Peggy Darty

Grab your coziest chair for this cozy mystery

Christy Castleman is a novelist who's first book was a hit and is now trying to finish up her second novel. One day she finds a bottle buried in the sand with a message asking for help because they are going to be killed. The Sassy Snowbirds, a group of women in the Red Hat society, think it's the missing realtor who wrote the note and are eager to assist Christy in what feels like her mystery novel come to life. While investigating, she also peaks the interest of the new guy in town, military veteran Dan Brockman. In between juggling this new relationship, Christy uses her detective skills to find that the murder may be connected to a jewelry heist in New York from back in the 1980s. Suddenly the little town is involved in a series of events that will shake up the community, with Christy at the center of it all.


I love a good mystery and this book definitely makes my top ten list of mystery novels. I've enjoyed Peggy Darty's novels from the Palisades series and her writing in this book is even better. The story is very descriptive and keeps you wanting more. Christy was a good lead, she's strong yet sensitive, and even when annoyed she doesn't let it show. I really liked her relationship with her former fiance's dad. She's still close to him even though his son is dead, and he treats her like the daughter in law he would have had, allowing her to bring him food, visit him often and asking him for advice on stuff. Other people might have turned away from this awkward situation, but it showed Christy's compassion for what would have been her future family. I love the Sassy Snowbirds because I enjoy reading stories that involve Red Hats. I only hope when I get to be that age I'm as spunky and adventurous as they are! They always seem to be looking for excitement to happen. I won't spoil the ending, so let's just say I totally wasn't expecting it and I don't think I could have been as calm as Christy was when she found out who the killer was. I highly recommend this book for fans of cozy mysteries or anyone that enjoys a really good page turning read. I'm really looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

When the Sandpiper Calls by Peggy Darty is published by Waterbrook (2005)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat