Book Review: "Flies on the Butter" by Denise Hildreth


There's no place like home

Rose Fletcher is on her way back to South Carolina after being away for many years. She's tried to escape her southern heritage by living up in DC, hiding her accent and cutting all connections with her past. However she's discovered that her past cannot escape her especially with the trip she is now taking back to her home. The story is Rose's drive from DC to South Carolina interwoven with memories from her past. The reader is shown how scenes from her childhood have affected her life today. As Rose's trip continues, she and the reader see how no matter how you try to escape where you came from, your home will always be with you no matter what.

If you liked the Savannah series, you'll like this book one too. While it doesn't have the humor or eccentric characters as the Savannah books, Flies does have that southern charm and great storyline that draws you in. Rose is a character that slowly grows on you. I didn't like her at first but then as more of her story is revealed, I felt more sympathetic towards her. Although I do not agree with her reasons for having an affair, it is understandable why a working woman in the prime of a budding career would not want to have children. I liked also the characters Rose met along the way, each realizing that they met her for a reason and then chose to pray for her. and I also enjoyed reading about the food. Southern food is the absolute best, fried chicken and pork chops. I live in Virginia but not in the part that's considered real southern. My boyfriend on the other hand lives in that southern part so a lot of what happens in the book happens in his hometown. So I found a bunch of familiar things that I could relate too such as the boiled peanuts, Fun Dip, and the ice cold coke. And I really want to go to one of those roadside diners one day. That meal that was given to Rose at the diner sounds so good. While reading this book, I was reminded of the movies Elizabethtown and Junebug. The whole southern bit about slowing down. This book really moved me. I laughed and I cried. It's definitely one of the best books I've read this year so far.

Denise Hildreth has once again written an excellent novel, one I couldn't put down. If you want a story that will move you and touch your life, then I highly recommend this book for you.

Flies on the Butter by Denise Hildreth is published by Thomas Nelson (2007)

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:12 AM

    Great review. I'm looking forward to reading Flies on the Butter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge