Book Review: "Reclaiming Nick" by Susan May Warren

I wanna be a cowboy baby

Nick Noble is a modern day prodigal son. He's finally returned to the family ranch after leaving ten years ago. His father has died and Nick has found out that the ranch has been split between him and his siblings and his former best friend Cole. He wants to know why Cole should get what is rightfully his. Piper is pretending to be a ranch cook so she can investigate Nick who she believes is the cause of why her brother went to jail. The two develop a relationship against Piper's wishes. Meanwhile many secrets float around the ranch, and it also looks like there is someone who doesn't want anyone to own a part of it.

First off, look at the book cover! Woooo! Love those dimples, he looks just like Colby from season 2 of Survivor. So it was really easy to picture Nick, which is good because he was a really interesting, well developed character. Him, Maggie, and Cole all have a history with everyone not knowing the full truth about each other. It sounds soap opera-ish but it doesn't come off that dramatic. I enjoyed Piper's attempts to hide that she couldn't cook. She really got lucky with the roundup takeout dinner. Although hearing about
Rocky Mountain oysters was just gross. Ewww. But it was very cool to learn about the happenings at a rodeo ranch (although those poor calves that got branded). Also you don't know who is causing all the bad things until the last few chapters, I mean I literally didn't see it coming. The only thing I didn't seem to get was that everyone was making such a big deal about Nick's discovery about Cole's relation to him. Yet no one says anything about Stephanie and Rafe's (well he isn't there) reaction to this news. It was like it was only Nick's situation to deal with. Stephanie also doesn't get fleshed out much but she'll be having her own book soon. I'm looking forward to the next book which will be about Rafe. Learning about cowboys has never been so much fun..and if Rafe's cover looks anything like Nick's..."VBG" Another highly recommended SMW novel!!!

Reclaiming Nick by Susan May Warren is published by Tyndale (2007)

Comments

  1. Hi Deborah. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't wait to read Reclaiming Nick. Susan May Warren is one of my fav authors. I wish she would write more romantic suspense.

    I see you reviewed one of Gilbert's books. I'm ready to start one but I don't want to begin in the middle of a series. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you should try susan's mission: russia series. i have a review of Sands of Time on my blog. it's awesome romantic suspense.

    as for gilbert..where to begin? depending on which history time period you like, he's got billions. My personal favorites is the Cheney Duvall Series (it's like Dr. Quinn), the Appomattox Saga (Civil War) or the American Century Series (20th century by decade). He also has some good stand alones (Edge of Honor, Jacob's Way). But to be honest, since I've read everyone of his books that is out, he starts repeating stories, plots, character traits, so you might start feeling de ja vu a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh the liberty bell series (american revolution) is really good too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love Susie - I am halfway through Reclaiming Nick and will be reviewing it soon! LOVED In Sheep's Clothing especially and it will be good to read more of Viktor and Gracie in Book 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very funny Deborah! What do you have in your TBR pile? Next up for me is Wedgewood Grey, Perfecting Kate, Chocolate Beach and the list goes on......Finished Nick last night so will post my review soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:47 PM

    Hi Deborah,

    Love your blog.I will stop by again.=)

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat