Book Review: "The Double Cross" by Clare O'Donahue

Nell Fitzgerald and the Someday Quilts ladies are asked to lead a quilting workshop at a new bed and breakfast in upstate New York. However, the retreat quickly takes an unexpected dark turn. When a body is found in the woods, and one of their own is the chief suspect, the ladies must rely on their craftiest thinking as they embark on their most personal case yet.

With smart, sassy Nell leading the charge to clear her friend's name and find the real murderer, The Double Cross is sure to confirm Clare O'Donohue as a master of the mystery genre.

This was probably my favorite book of the entire series. This story takes the characters away from Archers Rest and to a quilting retreat workshop. I personally like it when characters are pulled away from their norm and set in a brand new environment. It gives the reader the chance to see if they will act the same or if a brand new personality will appear. I loved seeing the women interact with the new characters introduced. From old high school flames to trickster twins, the new folks add a lot of color to the story.

I had no idea who the killer was. I had several guesses while reading but I ended up being wrong! This was because there are so many red herrings that pop up that you think, Oh this is so easy to guess, and then you find out that you picked incorrectly. Unlike the last book, where I stopped caring about who the killer was, this time I was fully invested in the story. Another side plot that is crucial to the story is Jesse and Nell's relationship. I can't say I'm too happy with how things ended here. I'm hoping that things will change in future books but according to interviews with the author they probably will not.

I really loved this book and I can't wait to read more in the series. My interest in actually learning to quilt has not been piqued because of this series but I will say that learning about quilting has been very educational. I admire those who are masters of this craft and I greatly appreciate the beautiful work that that they do. This series has skillfully blended quilting and mystery together with a touch of chick lit. Looking forward to the next adventure!

The Double Cross by Clare O'Donahue is published by Plume (2010)

This review copy was provided by the publisher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat