Book Review: "Dreams That Won't Let Go" by Stacy Hawkins Adams

Indigo Burns is excited. Her wedding preparations to the man of her dreams are under way, her career as a photographer is a success, and her family seems to be doing better than ever--all except her brother Reuben who nobody has seen in years. But that's about to change, because Reuben has decided to move back home to Jubilant, Texas. But Reuben's hope to find healing with his sisters doesn't seem to be working. Soon enough their lives intersect in dramatic, sometimes painful, and ultimately healing ways.

This series has been a wonderful surprise to discover and this book was no different. I was really happy with how this book was handled. I agreed totally with Indigo's feelings and felt that her and Yasmin were justified with how they felt towards their parents and Reuben. After hearing the back story behind Reuben's decision to leave and the aftermath it caused, I still felt bad for the girls. I understood why he had felt that way growing up but then it still bothered both me and the characters at the way in which he decided to come back. I was also quite please with how Yasmin's situation was handled throughout the entire book.

I don't want to spoil exactly what happened, but this is one of the few times where characters I want to see be put in their place were. I wish more Christian fiction did this instead of making the hurt people be the "better person" and forgive and forget without saying anything. This is one of the main reasons why I like
Stacy Hawkins Adams books. She's not afraid to tell things like they really are nor does she avoid topics that might make the reader uncomfortable. In fact with all three books in this series, she has given me exactly what I wanted in a book and not chosen to go the safe route where other Christian fiction books tend to resort too.


While it is possible to read this book as a standalone, I HIGHLY recommend reading at least the 2nd book in the series, the one that came before this one, Worth a Thousand Words. There you are introduced to Indigo for the first time and you get to read her back story and why she is where she is at in this book.

Overall I have really enjoyed reading this book and the entire Jubilant Soul series. I will be looking forward to Stacy's next fiction book, and in the meantime I'm going to go back and read her previous Spirit and Soul series. If you are a fan of multicultural reads you will enjoy this one and even if you think this might be out of your comfort zone, you should still give this series and author a try.

Dreams That Won't Let Go by Stacy Hawkins Adams is published by Revell (2010)

This review copy was provided by the publisher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge