Book Review: "Sisterhood of the Queen Mamas" by Annie Jones


Break out the tiaras

Odessa and Maxine are best friends, pastor's wives and flea market fiends. Between the two of them are years of experience and wisdom. Which is why they feel that they are called to help out other women they see in need. From helping Bernadette find a boyfriend to Chloe's complete makeover to finding out what's really going on with seeming perfect Jan, the duo do their best to keep a lookout for others.

I liked the premise of the story. I love shopping for bargains so it was fun to read about having a booth in a flea market. The characters are really zany and very colorful. You can tell that they enjoy life and want to help others to see life as they do. I liked Bernadette and the quest to get a boyfriend for her. And I so wanted to smack Odessa's husband throughout most of the book for having to make her suffer. I felt really sad that she felt that way as a pastor's wife. I'm sure that there are many of them out of there who feel the exact same way. However I didn't feel that this was the author's best work. I really liked her mom-lit novels and was hoping this would have been along the lines except for an older audience. Instead, the storyline is rather confusing and I never really did gel with the characters. The prologue in the beginning with Odessa and Maxine trading off the narration really confused me because I couldn't tell who was who. I just felt like I never really got into the story which was sad to me because I do enjoy Annie's other books. It could be because I'm not the target age group for the book. So maybe if you're in the hen-lit crowd, you'll find that this book is perfect for you.

The Sisterhood of the Queen Mamas by Annie Jones is published by Steeple Hill (2006)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge