Book Review: "Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle" by R. K. Mortenson

Fantasy fun for the kiddies

Landon Snow, on a trip to visit his grandparents, finds himself transported into a magical world beyond the library. In it he discovers talking books, chess pieces that come to life, and trying to find out what is the meaning of the Book his grandfather keeps talking about. Strange clues and riddles keep him on his toes during his search. Will he find out the answer to what is the meaning of everything?

I read this book mainly because it was highly touted as a Christian alternative to Harry Potter. Since I am a huge Harry Potter fan, I was curious as to see whether or not this book could live up to the hype. Well, if I was just going to compare the two, I find myself slightly disappointed. This book is nothing like Harry Potter, if anything it's more Lemony Snicket where you learn things while you're reading. There is lots of imagery in this book, a lot which might go over the head of little kids. I must admit, I got confused quite a bit while reading this book, so I can only imagine how a 12 year old might react to it. I don't find it too preachy although it it obvious about the Christian elements in the story. I did enjoy the bit with the horse, the chess game did remind me of the scene in Harry Potter. I liked how he did indeed take the risk and jumped off the board. The scenes where Landon meets up with the books is enjoyable too. So my final verdict is, if you're looking for a good children's fantasy book I would highly recommend this. I just don't find it to be on par with Potter or even Lemony Snicket. If Just enjoy it for what it is. I got the children's librarian at our library to order the set, so hopefully the kiddies will enjoy it too.

Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle
by R.K. Mortenson is published by Barbour (2005)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge