Book Review: "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins

image

If it wasn't for book bloggers and Twitter, I would have never discovered this wonderful series. I had never heard of The Hunger Games or Catching Fire before. While I read YA fiction, I tend to read more of the YA chick lit type books. Therefore this series totally would have passed me by. However thanks to all the recommendations and praise I kept hearing about left and right, I finally decided, well if all these people are talking about it, it must be good. And boy were they right. When I read The Hunger Games, I finished it in about 2 hours. And LOVED it. So see, book bloggers DO make an impact. You may say, well it's a popular book, bookstores have it featured everywhere, yada yada. Well just because a bookstore says it's good, that doesn't mean I'm going to read it. Only because of people I know and trust did I read this book. Book bloggers give a personal touch when they read, review and recommend books. This is why book bloggers are important. So thank you, to every book bloggers who blogged or tweeted about this series.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

I want to start off first by saying, this book (and the first book) would have gone totally unnoticed by me had it not been for book bloggers. Their recommendations totally got me interested as so many people were praising the book. I'm really glad I listened to them because this has become one of the best YA series I've read in a while and gives almost the same fervor for me as the Harry Potter series did. The Hunger Games left me totally shocked and amazed. This sequel did exactly the same thing.

Katniss has become one of my favorite heroines ever in a book. I really like how the story is told from her point of view. She is a character I really feel for and because it's in first person, I really feel as if we get to know her. There are so many new discoveries in this book about the Capitol and the other Districts. The whole issue about District 13 got me REALLY excited. There is lots of suspense and action in this book. Like the first in the series, there are deaths, so it's not for the faint hearted. There has been debate as to which guy you would choose, Gale or Peeta and people have been picking teams. I however cannot decide. Each choice would lead to joy for Katniss, yet it would also leave heartbreak. Perhaps the best solution would be to choose neither as it it is one of those situations where there would be no happy ending.

I think the best thing about the story is the fact that it's not a kid's story. Many people dismiss YA fiction because they think it's aimed at teenagers and they are above it. However there is so much more in this book, and it says it better than a general adult fiction book. There are good literary YA books out there and this is one of them.


If there was anything to complain about, a minor quibble would be during the last few chapters I felt a little lost. It just felt like something big had happened and I had somehow missed it and found myself having to flip back a couple chapters to regroup. Other than this however, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was lucky that I had read The Hunger Games recently so that way it was fresh in my mind when I started this book. Unfortunately for me now, I am dying for the third book to come out and am totally left hanging. If you think young adult fiction is too juvenile and you are too mature for it, I challenge you to read this series. It will totally change your mind about the genre. VERY HIGHLY recommended.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins is published by Scholastic Press (2009)

Comments

  1. I will put a bug in my daughters' ears to check into this book! Thanks for the praise and suggestion. I enjoy YA as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same as you. I finally caved and read The Hunger Games right before Catching Fire came out, luckily. Would never have read it, but so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book! I might have to break down and buy it, because the library wait is about 700+.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:30 PM

    I love these books, and they are also featured in my BBAW post today.

    I actually liked how everything took off at the end, leaving the reader as confused as Katniss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose The Hunger Games and Catching Fire for today's meme, too. I thought they were both VERY GOOD books and well worth the read!

    Sheri
    A Novel Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got up at the crack of dawn to stand in line for a ticket to get an autographed copy of this book because of bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Compare it to HP and Twilight for me on a scale of one to ten, and how clean is it, keeping those two series' in mind??

    ReplyDelete
  8. well HP is always a 10. Twilight was a 5 for me. hah. but i ranks this series 8-9. and it's clean. there are deaths. teens do die. but there's no sex or language at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm adding a link to the Saturday Review of Books at Semicolon for this review because I'm in the middle of Catching Fire right now, and I want to go back and read your review after I've finished.

    You're invited to add links to the Saturday Review for your book reviews each Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Hunger Games and can't wait to get to Catching Fire. I'm glad to read that it is equalling exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this book as well. Great review, and great idea combining the review with the BBAW post - killing two birds with one stone!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat