Book Review: "Boo Hiss" by Rene Gutteridge

Who knew so much could happen in a small town?

What could be worse than a two headed huge snake loose in a small town? Try overzealous publicists, pregnant women who don't want to be pregnant, two men in love with the same women, a sleepwalker, a town play in shambles...and that's just the beginning! Wolf wants to start writing again but is looking to show his faith in his books while his publicists gets a little crazy trying to figure out what exactly Christian fiction is. Ainsley wishes she was pregnant but instead has to put up with reluctantly clueless pregnant Melb. Did I also mention there's a huge two headed snake loose in town?

This is one of the few books where I have laughed, cringed, shrieked, gagged, got disgusted, frustrated and thoroughly enjoyed while reading. Yes it is possible to have every single one of these emotions while reading this book. After all this series has been called "Mitford on steroids." I was again worried that since I hadn't read the second book in the series I'd be lost. But not to fear, the story is crazy and funny that you don't feel like you missed out on anything at all. The story is all over the place with many different characters but don't worry everything is connected. While I love most of the characters especially Wolf and Ainsley, I cannot stand Melb. I feel really sorry for Ainsley because of what she has to put up with. I'm sorry, but if I was in her position, I would have lost it. Melb's character just drove me up the wall. Other than that, I really enjoyed the story. If you have a snake phobia, I would suggest not reading this book. The description of a two headed snake make me feel icky all over. I grimace to this day. I also like how the portrayal of the outside world's image of Christian fiction is. Very funny and somewhat sad at the same time. The way this book is written, it's definately not your grandmother's Christian fiction. Highly recommended for hard to put down reading.

Boo Hiss by Rene Gutteridge is published by Waterbrook (2005)

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat