2010 Books in Review

2010 has come to a close. And what a year it has been. I've had a rather eventful year, with both highs and lows. Among the highs was me graduating with my master's degree in history. I also had some really bad lows but I'm hoping that next year will be a lot better.

In terms of reading....*snickers*. I had a really awesome year. I read 624 books this year. That is the most books I have ever read in my entire life in one year. I thought last year's total of 530 books was over the top but I just went all sorts of crazy this year. I didn't think that I would even get near last year's total but I went above and beyond. In case anyone is wondering how I did this, the first half of the year I had a job where I could read at work. The second half of the year I have been jobless allowing me to read all the time. Also I don't have kids. Enough said.

As most of you know, I read and review mainly Christian fiction on this blog. I do read other genres but this past year I really wanted to broaden the types of books that I read. The two types of books that I seemed to be able to not put down this year were YA and cozy mysteries. I had made a goal to read more YA this year and found myself reading it non stop. I discovered cozy mysteries around April and got completely addicted to them. Now if I could only find some YA cozy mysteries!

Here's a small breakdown of the books that I read in regards to those three genres:

Books Read: 625
Pages Read: 179,306
Christian Fiction: 228
YA & MG (this includes Christian YA/MG as well): 172
Cozy Mystery: 120

I thought I was going to do some more stats but there are too many books to count and it is hurting my head to keep looking at that list!

I couldn't pick just 10 books that I liked this year. Instead I just went through all the books I read and picked the ones that stood out the most to me.

Memoirs
Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by Susan Jane Gilman (Review)
Hear No Evil by Matthew Paul Turner (Review)

YA

Paper Daughter by Jeanette Ingold

The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz
Beautiful by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma (Review)
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Review)
Songs for a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson (Review)

Christian Fiction
Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo (Review)
The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund (Review)
For Time and Eternity by Allison Pittman (Review)
Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner (Review)


The Bishop by Steven James (Review)
Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers (Review)

Non Fiction

Everything is Broken by Emma Larkin (Review)
Stuff Christians Like by Jonathan Acuff (Review)

General Market Fiction (Contemporary, Historical, Literary)
Balancing Acts by Zoe Fishman (Review)

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahme-Smith (Review)
Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees (Review)
How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway (Review)

The Gentleman Poet by Kathryn Johnson (Review)
The Debutante by Kathleen Tessaro (Review)
Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate (Review)
City of Tranquil Light by Bo Caldwell (Review)

So that was my year in reading for 2010. My goals for 2011 will be posted tomorrow. Whew.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the great list! What an amazing amount of books! I read a lot of YA this year too and a lot of my favs were from that category. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got a bit of overlap this year, which makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of books. =D But that's a lot of fun!

    So glad you decided to list your books in this order. Before I forget about these titles (yet again!) I added the following to my Amazon wishlist so that I'll remember to actually get to them in 2011:

    Hear No Evil
    Stuff Christians Like
    The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

    I meant to pick up all of those last year but never got around to it. THIS year! I'll do it THIS year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YA cozy mysteries are a great idea! I guess that would be like modern nancy drews right, hehe. I would totally read those though (or at least would have when I was a YA)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuff Christians Like is on my TBR list.

    Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven looks like an amazing memoir. I love memoirs too, so I'll definitely add this one to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You're reading life makes me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list, Deb - love your reading capacity :) Here's to a fantastic 2011 for you :)

    Love and hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So honored to find The Love Goddess' Cooking School on your list, Deborah! Wonderful way to end 2010 and start 2011!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge