Movie Review: "Jet Li's Fearless"




My parents and I don't go out ot the movies much together. In fact in all my 23 years we've only gone to see 5 movies together. We're more stay at home rent DVDs (mostly from the library b/c they're free) people. So us going to see "Jet Li's Fearless" on Saturday was considered an event in our household.

I wanted to see this movie because lately I've been on an Asian movie kick and I've seen pretty much all the major Asian movies that have come out in theaters. Also it's a Chinese movie and since I'm half Chinese, why not support my ethnic heritage? I really enjoyed Jet Li's last Chinese movie Hero (which was excellent and has the most beautiful cinematography I have ever seen in a movie) and since this is also his last martial arts film.

This movie was different from Hero or Crouching Tiger as it is more martial arts and male centered. The fight sences are intense and painful yet not over graphic. If you are familiar with other martial arts films you know what to expect. The story is based on the life of Huo Yuanjia,a legendary Chinese martial artist who challenged foreign fighters in highly publicized events, restoring pride and nationalism to China at a time when Western Imperialism was eroding the country. The main plot of the movie shows how he learns how to become humble and not arrogant. My favorite scene is at the end involving Yuanjia and the Japanese fighter. It is sad yet it shows respect and honor.


I really enjoyed this movie. I would classify this as more a guy film but if you enjoy martial arts, historical movies, or anythign with Jet Li you'd like it too. Those who are sqeamish of limbs in unnatural positions may avoid it. There is no sexual content and very minor language.

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree with you more about this one .. It may be a "guy film" because it has so much fighting, but the story delivers plenty more than that for all audiences

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:42 PM

    This movie looked pretty action packed. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'm sure it's a great action movie since Jet Li is in it. The story line looks pretty interesting aswell. Jet's martial arts skills are truely incredible. Did you guys know he's nominated for favorite male action star for The Peoples Choice Awards? Well, he is, so make sure you vote for him at http://www.pcavote.com! I work with The People's Choice Community, so I thought I'd let you guys know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge