Book Review: "My Hands Came Away Red" by Lisa McKay


Survivor: Mission Trip

Cori just wanted to do something with her life. So the Australian teen decides to join a missions trip for the summer in Indonesia. The plan was to witness to the locals and build them a church. The team was expecting to come back with stories of how they saved the village. Instead they find themselves running for their lives after the pastor of their village is brutally murdered in a religious battle. Cori and the other members of her team plus the pastor's children must find a way to save themselves as they hike through the jungle for help. Along the way they experience trials and tribulations that no one their age should ever face and that will leave them scarred for the rest of their lives.


Word of mouth promotion really does work. That's why I picked up this book, because of all the good reviews I had heard about it. And I was not disappointed at all. This book is intense. The story will linger in your mind for days. It's not a story to enjoy lying on the beach. You need to be in the right frame of mind to read this book.
I've always wanted to go on a missions trip. It is on my list of things to do before I die. So while reading this book, I did get a little of what could happen if I went to someplace like that part of Indonesia. The missionaries who live in remote areas like this are to be commended for the bravery they show trying to spread God's word. The teens in this book are wise beyond their years. I don't know if I could have been as strong as they were if I was put in the same situation. It was heartbreaking to read about the emotional turmoil they were going through just trying to get home. It was just incredible about everything they went through: from seeing killings, running from snakes and wild boars, trying to overcome malaria. It's like an extreme version of Survivor for Christian teens.

Even though the characters in this book are teenagers, the subject matter is quite serious so at least older teens should be reading this. It was also sad to see how the two religions are at wars with each other. It's devastating to read about Christians acting in such a brutal way against others especially since we are taught to love everyone. Obviously those people are not the best representatives of Christianity.
I agree with others that this was one of the best Christian fiction books published in 2007. Lisa McKay has made her mark in the publishing world. I encourage everyone to read to this book. I guarantee it will have a major impact on you.

My Hands Came Away Red by
Lisa McKay is published by Moody (2007)

Comments

  1. Hi,

    Did you get a new email? Your mail keeps coming back to me as non-existent account?

    Thanks,
    Amy
    amy@triciagoyer.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge