Book Review: "All You Get Is Me" by Yvonne Prinz

Summary from BN.com: Things were complicated enough for Roar, even before her father decided to yank her out of the city and go organic. Suddenly, she’s a farm girl, albeit a reluctant one, selling figs at the farmers’ market and developing her photographs in a ramshackle shed. Caught between a trouble making sidekick named Storm, a brooding, easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy, and a father on a human rights crusade that challenges the fabric of the farm community, Roar is going to have to tackle it all—even with dirt under her fingernails and her hair pulled back with a rubber band meant for asparagus.

Yvonne Prinz's first book THE VINYL PRINCESS was one of my favorite reads of 2010. Therefore I was really looking forward to her new book because I really enjoyed her style of writing. I wasn't disappointed. Right from the beginning I was sucked into the story. It's not a fluffy teen lit tale. There are serious issues that are discussed throughout the book. The topics involving organic farming, immigration policy and legal rights are all fascinating. I love that this is all included in a YA book because it shows that even though they are not adults, teens are interested in this sort of stuff. It's important to become aware of these subjects at a young age because then you have time to learn more before having to face them head on as an adult.

I was wondering at first if the book was going to swing into the forbidden love a la Romeo & Juliet type of deal but was pleasantly surprised that no real opposition was met. I felt the relationship to grow naturally and leaves room for more in the future. I really liked Forest's character. He totally sounds like a guy I would have gone after in my teen years. There is a scene involving teen sex which might be a little mature for some readers. Nothing really graphic but just wanted to let you know that it is in there.

I really liked this book. Roar is a really good main character. She's very level headed and intuitive. Even though she had grown up in the city, for the most part she's not spoiled at all and has become adapt to farm life. She's also a good friend which means a lot during those teen years. I learned a lot while reading this book and there's lots of topics for good discussion to be had after reading. It's definitely a book that will make you think a lot. Prinz has hit a second home run with this book and I eagerly await future titles from her.

All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz is published by HarperTeen (2010)

This review copy was provided by the Amazon Vine program

Comments

  1. Since those are topics that are near and dear to my heart, I bet I'd love this book too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge