Book Review: "When Zeffie Got a Clue" by Peggy Darty

Summer Breeze, Make Feel Fine

Mystery writer and amateur sleuth Christy Castleman has managed to come across another unsolved case in her small Florida town. This time, the clue comes in the form of a letter from the jewelry box of a young girl named Zeffie. This letter reopens an unsolved murder that took place over eight years ago. The killer was never found. With the new info that Christy has, she sets out to find the murderer before they realize she's looking for them.

Peggy Darty has become one of my favorite cozy authors to read. She also has a tight storyline with engaging characters and a mystery that will keep you guessing throughout. This latest addition featuring the gang from Summer Breeze did not disappoint. The mystery was really good because once again, the reader is kept guessing as to who the killer really was. This story was like a cold case being reopened years later. Therefore there are many suspects, including several who I myself guessed wrong. Zeffie was a cute character and I liked her. She wasn't annoying like a lot of bright little kids are normally portrayed in books. My absolute favorite part of reading this story was when Christy would visit the barbecue place. I envied her so much for the huge platters of ribs and sweet tea that she would get. I would get hungry every time it was mentioned. If I could get sucked into the story, I would definitely be tagging along with her when she ate there. I was geeked to read about Christy and Dan getting back together. I missed him in the 2nd book and it was good to see that he was able to keep up with her sleuthing habits in this one. These stories are perfect for those who love mystery but hate gritty suspense. It's perfect for a read on a lazy summer day. I do hope there will be more books featuring Christy and the residents of Summer Breeze. I will be anxious to make another trip down there.

When Zeffie Got a Clue by Peggy Darty is published by Waterbrook (2008)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge