Book Review: "Dreaming in Black and White" by Laura Jensen Walker


Tomorrow: Book Giveway! Stay tuned for details.

yay for movie buffs!

I will not lie. I am a movie trivia buff and I am proud of it. I watch the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes every year (would watch the SAG awards but alas i don't cable). i love all sorts of movies (hence why i would include movies on that deserted island of mine). Therefore Phoebe Grant would prally be my new best friend. Out of all the chick lit books I've read so far, this is far and away my new favorite book. Funny, touching, and with TONS of movie references I didnt want the book to end (and yay there's a sequel). Phoebe is a working class woman who is not afraid to be single. Movies and her friends are the source of her life, until she loses her job in Cleveland and is forced to go back home to help her mom out in her small town in California. The characters are multi-dimensional and FUN! I honestly never had so much fun reading a book. I feel like I'm gushing too much about it! Her reactions and emotions are perfectly reasonably in certain situations. And she eats! And while yes she would like to lose weight, she is not obsessive about it, like other characters in other books. She is also not in search of finding a husband. If one turns out, great, if not she'll live. And yes Phoebe is a Christian, but the book is not preachy at all. My only complaint is that the book came out before the 2005 edition of Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knigtley. I'm sure Phoebe would have loved it too! Great books, highly highly recommended.

Dreaming in Black and White by Laura Jensen Walker is published by Thomas Nelson (2005)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge