Book Review: "A Whisper of Freedom" by Tricia Goyer
Run for your life
Tricia Goyer has totally mastered the art of historical fiction. She is able to skillfully blend real life events with dramatic storytelling. This series has taken a little known event and brought it to public attention, allowing the reader to become more knowledgeable about this important part of history. I really felt like I was drawn into the story. I could see myself on the battle lines with Deion, going into hiding like Sofie and Philip, or being tortured like Juan. There is non stop adventure with twists the reader doesn't expect to see. The element of the gold adds more intrigue to the story as there is a race against time involving this plot. I'm really sad this series is ending. I've felt like I have connected with all the characters throughout all three books. To me the best part about reading the series was knowing how much research went into creating the story. As a history major, I can fully appreciate this because I know how hard this can be. Spain has never been so vividly described in this book. The reader walks away from the series with a better understanding of not only the country itself but the sacrifices that were made for the name of freedom. I hope these characters will pop up again in another book because I feel like their story isn't finished yet!
A Whisper of Freedom by Tricia Goyer is published by Moody (2008)
Here is the link to the blog tour schedule:
Book excerpt: http://www.triciagoyer.com/cmsdocuments/WhisperCh1.doc
Watch the series trailer: http://cg.creativenuclei.com/wip/TriciaGoyer/cscw.html
Tricia's website: http://www.triciagoyer.com/
Tricia's Blogs: http://www.triciagoyer.com/blogs.html
During the tour, anyone can enter to win one of FIVE signed copies of A Whisper of Freedom by signing up for Tricia's newsletter here!
Three brave "players" will be selected at random to win their own lost gold (Gourmet chocolate coins and all three books in the Chronicles of the Spanish Civil War series). To enter all you have to do is answer the MEME on your blog and then leave a comment on Tricia’s blog tour post here http://triciagoyer.blogspot.com/2008/03/whisper-of-freedom-meme-sticky-post.html that you’ve posted your MEME. Easy.
1. List three things you would do with a chest full of gold (assuming you got to keep it!)
- pay off my student loans
- buy any book I don't have that I ever wanted
- give the 'rents a sizable chunk
2. List three charities/missions/organizations you support (and why).
- Man I will sound horrible, but I haven't supported any charities recently
3. List three ways you have volunteered your time/services.
- Vacation Bible School
- Food Bank Volunteer
- Church library assistant
4. List three things you keep "hidden" when company comes over.
- our pug, he likes to jump on people
- old rugs
- dirty clothes
5. List the last three things you've lost.
- my keys
- my watch
- my cell phone
6. List the last three things you've found.
- the flowers I want for my foreseeable in the future wedding
- the best ribs restaurant ever , Famous Daves
- Wawa makes good Icees