Book Review: "The Other Daughter" by Miralee Ferrell

All in The Family

Life was normal for the Carson clan until one day a young teen shows up at their doorstep. Susanne can't believe what she's hearing. This girl claims to be the long lost daughter of her husband. But this can't be true, her husband would have surely told her about such an important fact in his life. As the truth begins to unravel, everyone touched by this secret will never be the same again.

I think that I unconsciously select books by different authors that have the same storyline. I had just finished reading "Ocean's Apart" by Karen Kingsbury when I selected this book to read. Interestingly both of the books had similar plots involving unknown children coming to claim their parents. I thought it was interesting to see how the stories parallel each other and also how the characters would react in different ways. In this book it was refreshingly realistic to see the other parent, the one who was left in the dark, be angry and even hostile towards the entire situation. I'm not saying this is the right behavior to act but it shows true human nature as opposed to immediate acceptance with everyone hugging. I wouldn't expect anyone, even a devout Christian, to not have some hurt and wounded feelings to not have known this deep dark secret from their spouse's past. Also it would only be natural to become suspicious about everything now. I thought the story was extremely well written. It capture my interest right from the get go. The Native American touch was very interesting to read as well. The only thing that bugged me a little about the story was that I felt Briana acted younger than her age. I know she's had a hard life, but in my opinion she acted like she was 12 or younger. She didn't seem interested in a lot of things that normal fourteen year olds would be into. Other than this, I really enjoyed reading this story. It's an excellent debut and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

The Other Daughter by Miralee Ferrell is published by Kregel (2007)

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for the review on my book, it was unexpected and appreciated! I'm glad you enjoyed it and chose to share it with your readers. Miralee Ferrell
    http://www.miraleeferrell.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your review, Deborah. I definitely want to read Miralee's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that I read The Other Daughter and it was very good! It had characters that were real - I felt as if I knew them and was going through things with them. There was also many unexpected spiritual insights.

    Thank you for posting.

    Blessings, Lucie

    Lucie In CA at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat