Movie Review: "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Did you know there used to be a time in my life when Harrison Ford was only Indiana Jones to me? Growing up I had no clue he was such a big star. I didn't even know he was in Star Wars until 1999. The Indiana Jones trilogy is one of the best set of films ever made. I love all three of them and rewatch them every year. My personal favorite is Last Crusade especially because of the chemistry between Harrison Ford and Sean Connery (Dad? What? Dad? What? DAD!! WHAT???!!) So when news that Indy 4 was FINALLY coming out, my whole family rejoiced and made plans to see it as a family.

Since I really enjoyed this movie let me break down what I especially loved:
  • Mutt dipping his comb in the coke and Indy's reaction
  • After the motorcycle chase Mutt grins and Indy gives a stern look (just like his dad!)
  • Indy pulls up the brush during the radiation cleaning scene
  • Being totally freaked out during the first grave scene
  • The Ark being shown in the warehouse
  • Harrison Ford is still buff for 65!
Cate Blanchett was absolutely wonderful as the villain in this movie. I loved her accent and her way of kicking butt. By the way, this was the first Indy movie where he doesn't sleep with anyone! I was so thrilled that Marion was back in this film. She was my favorite out of the three women from the series. Willie was just a ...blond who got on my nerves and the other chick was a Nazi (enough said). Marion was the only one who fought back and could stand up for herself, the perfect heroine IMHO.

The snake scene was hilarious. And my dad really enjoyed that part too. He's scared of snakes too, and throughout the whole scene he kept squealing in the theater. Like LOUD squealing. My mom kept trying to cover his mouth with her hand. My sisters and I shrunk down in our seats. It was rather embarrassing. I myself loved the subtle homage to Marcus and Indy's dad with the pictures on Indy's desk. Although I do agree with a forum post about Sean Connery's picture looking like a publicity head shot, surely Indy would have had a a more personal pic! Shia Lebouff was actually quite good in this movie. I was pleasantly surprised with his acting. I did miss Sallah, surely they could have added him in somehow. The climax of the movie seemed rather cheesy to me but I still enjoyed it.


The only thing that made me truly disappointed about this movie is that it was released not even a full week after Prince Caspian. It was bittersweet to watch Indy do so well because at the same time PC was hurting. Other than that, I loved this movie and I can't wait til it comes out on DVD to add to our collection. Indy fans won't be disappointed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge