My Library Reads No. 13

My Library Reads is a spotlight on the library books that I have read during the previous week. This is not a post on what books I borrowed but books that I read. Since I don't review library books, this is a way to still be able to showcase them on my blog.

BTW, if anyone knows of another meme that is like this on another blog, could you please let me know? I don't know of any myself, but if there is one already in place, I'd like to give credit where credit is due!

Library Books read from 5/9/11 - 5/16/11

Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer (HaperTeen, 2/15/11)

YA - I am so glad that I'm doing the YA Contemps challenge because otherwise I would have never discovered this book. This is a beautifully written story about two former best friends who are now rivals in everything, especially in their competitive singing. The POV goes back and forth between Brooke and Kathryn and also between past and present. We see how the two of them met, became friends and then enemies and the aftermath of it. It's very interesting because we see things from all angles. Not everyone was right, not everyone was wrong. Unfortunately the two of them don't get the complete whole story of everything like the reader does.

I've seen other people mention Glee in terms of this book, but as I have never watched the show, it never entered my mind once while reading. I was pretty much just like, oh two girls singing. That's great and that was it. That being said, I didn't really know how serious it can all be. I was in chorus during elementary school but I hated it and I sucked so I quit after 5th grade. I admire those who continue and want to go further in their career with their voice as their talent. I do wish that the story had continued as I wanted to know what's going to happen now with their relationship. I can understand though why the story ends where it does as life is not all neat and tidy so why should a story have to be? This is a fabulous read and I look forward to more from Wealer in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge