Faith 'n Fiction Saturday


My Friend Amy, who brought us Book Blogger Appreciation Week has a new carnival in the works, the Faith 'n Fiction Saturday.

Each week she will post a blogging prompt, which participating bloggers will answer on their own blogs. Then they head back to the original post and sign Mister Linky! This way we can all come to know each other more closely.


Today I'd like to talk about YA fiction for Christian teens. The Christian fiction market for YA is still quite small and not varied. It seems heavy on fantasy or girly books. Let's be honest.

But that doesn't mean there's not a wealth of great books published in the general market for Christian teens. Today's challenge is to compile a list of recommended books, Christian or general market for Christians teens.

I've been reading a lot of mainstream YA lately and while I enjoy them very much, many of them include some cursing, sex, or drinking that some Christian readers might be offended with. So my list includes Christian YA fiction with some general fiction that shouldn't give problems.

Here's my list:

Diary of a Teenage Girl series by Melody Carlson (Multnomah)
True Colors series by Melody Carlson (NavPress)
Notes from a Spinning Planet series by Melody Carlson (Waterbrook)
It's All About Us series by Shelley Adina (Faithwords)
The Miracle Girls series by Anne Dayton and May Vanderbilt (Faithwords)
Ruby Unscripted by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma (Thomas Nelson)
Beautiful by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma (Thomas Nelson)
Katie Parker Prodution series by Jenny B. Jones (NavPress)
Secrets of My Hollywood Life series by Jen Calonita (Poppy)
Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita (Poppy)
North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley (Little Brown Books for Young Readers)

These might have some "mature" themes in it, but I really enjoyed these books

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg (Point)
The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz (Harper Teen)
Crowned by Julie Linker (Simon Pulse)
Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty by Jody Gehrman (Dial)
The Sweet Life of Stella Madison by Lara Zeises (Delacorte Books for Young Readers)

When You Wish by Kristin Harmel (Delacorte Books for Young Readers)

Comments

  1. Great blogging here. Just happened upon your page and think I could become a regular. Would be honored to have you visit mine one day. Have a great weekend, Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this list. I'm am depending on you to be my "helper" with Booking Daughter's reading choices over the next few years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some of the same authors on our lists. I have a lot more fantasy/sci fi on my list tho. All my books are Christian YA and 2 of them are non fiction.

    Thanks for the list!

    ~Mimi @ Woven by Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:21 PM

    Thank you very much for putting this out there. I have been reading and collecting a few books about the bible and I think you should also check out “The Young Reader’s Guide to Understanding the Bible” on http://tinyurl.com/tyrgtutb. I'd recommend it for those who are on their journey to better understanding the scripture

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat