Book Review: "Coming Unglued" by Rebeca Seitz


Ten years after their mother Marilyn has died, the multi-racial Sinclair sisters (Meg, Kendra, Tandy, and Joy) still return to her converted attic scrapbooking studio in the small town of Stars Hill, Tennessee, to encourage each other through life’s highs and lows. They’ve even turned their artistic passion into a new local scrapbooking business known as Sisters, Ink.

Coming Unglued focuses on painter and musician Kendra who struggles with her sense of self-worth—a struggle that only intensifies when she realizes a “friendship” developed with a guy at a jazz club is actually an emotional affair. With her sisters’ help, Kendra strives to do what’s right, embracing the call to safeguard her heart and mind and hold fast to God’s truth and grace.

I liked Kendra's story a LOT better than I did Tandy's. I felt that the characters were more fully developed in this book. Also there wasn't as much talking in third person about the sisters in this story as in the first book. It's a minor quibble but it just was a lot better and more realistic to not include it in this book. I did like very much how even though Kendra is involved in two interracial relationships, race is not an issue at all. Granted there were other obstacles and barriers in the relationships but thankfully nothing is mentioned about Kendra being African-American. It's nice to read a Christian fiction novel where someone can just date another person and race just doesn't matter at all. Believe me, it makes more a statement than to constantly bring it up and point out the differences between people.

This is a bit of a spoiler but I really did not like how Harrison's character ended up. It frustrates me to no end when the cheating husband gets off free and clear and the mistress is the one who takes the blame. I totally understand how both parties are at fault and I was really surprised that Kendra even offered an apology. But it really bugged me that Harrison's wife only gets mad at HER and we never find out what happens to HIM. It takes TWO to tango and HE is just as much to blame as she did. Sure, she should have stopped the relationship knowing that he was married but HE was the married person who initiated the relationship. Just one of those situations where I did not like how it was resolved in the book and felt that the guy once again gets away with what he did.

Overall as I said I did enjoy the book better than the first in the series. I still didn't feel as if I learned much about scrapbooking but it appears now that the craft is just a background story and not the main focus of the series. The relationships between the sisters and the men in their lives are what's the meat of the story. While the books could be read alone, I would recommend reading them in order of the series to get a better understanding of all the characters.

Coming Unglued
by Rebeca Seitz is published by B and H Publishing (2008)

This ARC was provided by the publisher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat