Book Review: "Arms of Deliverance" by Tricia Goyer


Don't forget to enter the contest for Coldwater Revival. Click here to enter. I'll pick a name and announce the winner on Wednesday.

History comes alive

I love historical fiction. For me, it helps me to understand history better. I learn more and it's easier to relate too. It was because of historical fiction that I changed my major to history. I love reading all types, from ancient Greek and Roman history right to stories based during the Cold War. Historical fiction brings the people, places and events to life.


"Arms of Deliverance" is Tricia Goyer's fourth novel set during World War II. Mary and Lee are two female reporters each struggling to prove they deserve to have the top story. Katrine is a Jew, living the life of an Aryan, pregnant with a Nazi's child. Their lives become intertwined as Mary and Lee are sent to Europe to report about the war and Katrine learns the risk of keeping her secret. Along the way, the reader learns about the Nazis view of children and bloodlines, the role of women reporters during war times and the true meaning of sacrifice.

I found this book fascinating. I love stories set during WWII. This was such a dramatic time period. I found the Katrine story very captivating, as she is a Jew being able to pass for a Aryan. Learning about the birthing houses where women gave birth solely to make new generations of Aryans was very interesting. I felt like I was really in the story especially during Mary and Eddie's adventure. Very edge of your seat. The amazing thing is is that many people probably faced that exact situation during the war. It makes the story more exciting and nerve wracking. You can tell there was a lot of research done in writing the book. I really liked the strong female characters. Mary and Lee kept trying to make their name on their own and allowed themselves to be pushed to the limit. Katrine risks her life to finally let the truth be known. I'm not sure I could do the same had I been in their situation.

Currently in one of my courses, we are studying about WWII and the Nazis. This book is helped get a better outlook on their thinking and way of life. I'm really glad I read it and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Tricia's books. I would recommend this for anyone who likes historical fiction.

Arms of Deliverance by Tricia Goyer is published by Moody (2006)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat