Faith 'n Fiction Saturday


My Friend Amy, who brought us Book Blogger Appreciation Week has a new carnival in the works, the Faith 'n Fiction Saturday.

Each week she will post a blogging prompt, which participating bloggers will answer on their own blogs. Then they head back to the original post and sign Mister Linky! This way we can all come to know each other more closely.

Today's Question:
You have a good friend who is a devoted Christian and voracious reader. He or she, however, tried to read a Christian fiction book in the past and found it to be too preachy and unrealistic. Your friend wants to try it again and has asked you for a recommendation. Their favorite genre of book is what is considered literary fiction What book would you recommend to them?

You also have a friend who is not a Christian but wants to read fiction that is considered clean without being too Christian. They have asked you if there are Christian fiction books that might meet their reading needs. They are interested in romance and novels. What book would you recommend to them?

For question A) I would have to recommend Angela Hunt's Fairlawn series (Doesn't She Look Natural?, She Always Wore Read and She's in a Better Place). First off the setting is totally unique - a funeral parlor. Second, the story is NOT preachy at all. Third, there is a the added touch of mystery in the story. It's a realistic book but not one where the reader feels like they are constantly preached at. Hunt's style of writing grabs the reader in and really makes them think. Hopefully after reading this series, the reader would want to go back and read all her other books as well. Another one of her books I would highly recommend would be Uncharted. Now that is a book that will REALLY make you think and if you are a Lost fan too, you'd enjoy it as well.

For question B) I would have to agree with Amy and go with Julie Lessman's Daughter of Boston series. They are full of romance, too much romance for the "safe" folk who think that it's too racy for Christian fiction! (This always makes me want to shake my head whenever I read reviews that say this) Some other author choices who write in the same style are Deeanne Gist and Jamie Carie. The faith element is very much a part of the story but the focus is on romance. What I like about these authors is that they celebrate the feelings that love and romance bring to a human and even a Christian. Too many times, Christian fiction tends to have characters who try to deny their feelings even to their own spouse. I really hate reading the stories where the husband refuses to "make love" to their wife b/c they think that they are committing a great sin. Or when people kiss and then break away and mumur "Oh I shouldn't have done that." It's not realistic. These books are the way realistic Christians can embrace romance and still be true to their faith.

Comments

  1. Embedded comments!!!

    You always make me laugh. Angela Hunt is an excellent, excellent choice. I need to read some Deanne Gist and Jamie Carie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:07 AM

    I so agree with your assessment of Christian fiction and the denial of feelings! I think that is why so many of us are loving Julie's books...she is a breath of fresh air in the Christian market with her honest dealings of passion and romance.

    I loved reading your suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela Hunt is my favorite author, so I applaud your choice. I'm not a romance reader, and I have not read Deanne Gist and Jamie Carie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:18 AM

    Good recommendations with explanations that make sense. I'll have to check these out. My answers are up at Free Spirit-

    http://tinyurl.com/by9guy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know what to list for the literary fiction category, but I love Hunt's Fairlawn books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 AM

    Ok, I am convinced! I actually own a couple of books by Deeanne Gist and a couple in the Fairlawn Series. My daughter has read the Gist books and loved them.

    I also plan to read Julie Lessman because of all the favorable reviews. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and I'm adding Angela hunt to my wish list now. I haven't read any by gist but it looks like she writes along the same lines as Cathy Marie Hake. I'll have to check out Julie Lessman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post...and I'm adding your author's to my list that I want to check out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you for Julie's series! Really want to read Angie's Fairlawn series myself. So many books...

    ~Mimi B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge