Book Review: "The Color of the Soul" by Tracey Bateman

If only we were all colorblind

Andy Carmichael is a reporter from the North who travels down to Georgia to write an article on the story of a dying woman. Miss Pembrook tells him to read a set of diaries which she says chronicles the story of her life. What the reader discovers next is a life of race relations, where color of the skin seems to be the only thing that matters. However for Andy and Miss Pembrook, it is what is inside that truly matters as shocking secrets of heritage and ancestry are discovered.

Have you ever read a book that after you finish reading you feel totally drained? That's what happened to me after reading this book. I got so caught up in the characters and in the story that I felt like I was in the book. This was one of the most powerful books that I read this past year. The story just hooks you from the beginning with a mystery that is throughout the book. If you are a fan of happily ever after historical fiction, do not read this book. If you are not prepared to face the reality of racism in this country, you are not the right reader for this book. The characters' stories in this book just break my heart with their plight. I am so glad that I was not born during this era. The prejudice and cruel treatment that was suffered just because of the color of skin sickens me. There would be parts in this book where I wanted to scream with anger because of how the characters were treated. What was worse was that these were people who would claim to be Christians and then turn around and act in ways that disgusted me. But really, this just shows how well the book was written to evoke such a powerful response in me. I do love the time period that this book takes place. The late 1800s to early 1900s is the time period in American history that fascinates me the most. If you read any historical fiction book next year, this book needs to be on your list. It's a story that's unforgettable and needs to be read by all. Thank goodness I have the sequel in my TBR shelf. It's definately on my list to read next year.

The Color of the Soul by Tracey Bateman is published by Barbour (2005)

Comments

  1. My heart breaks for the race issues that have always been and to some degree still are. I fight against it myself because of my 'bringing up' but to read the unjustness of it deeply enough to live the rest of my life braced solidly against doing it is something all should read. Please enter me. Thank you. Pam
    purensimplenatural at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge