My Library Reads No. 16

My Library Reads is a spotlight on the library books that I have read during the previous week. This is not a post on what books I borrowed but books that I read. Since I don't review library books, this is a way to still be able to showcase them on my blog.

BTW, if anyone knows of another meme that is like this on another blog, could you please let me know? I don't know of any myself, but if there is one already in place, I'd like to give credit where credit is due!

Library Books read from 6/19/11 - 6/25/11

Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard (Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 3/8/11)

YA - This book is a good look at how many teen girls feel. They want to be more than what they are and sometimes don't always look to the best role models when trying to fit in. A lot of it also stems to their own parents and the relationships they have with them. Hubbard does a good job of blending these topics together in a beautifully written book.

I got a bit frustrated at times with Grace because of how much she was willing to sacrifice her own identity just to be accepted. Of course I say this now as an adult, but looking back at my own teen years I probably would have done the same thing. I was wondering how far Grace's infatuation with Mandarin was going to go and there is one scene where I thought things might spark between them. However it dies out as quickly as it happens and no mention is brought up again. I honestly felt really bad for Mandarin as she tries to put up this persona and attitude so that no one can come close to her. The adults in her life are no help, from her parents to her teachers at school, and she just slips further and further away. At least Grace can start over again with her mother. Overall though, it's a really engaging read and I look forward to reading more from the author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat