My Library Reads No. 15

My Library Reads is a spotlight on the library books that I have read during the previous week. This is not a post on what books I borrowed but books that I read. Since I don't review library books, this is a way to still be able to showcase them on my blog.

BTW, if anyone knows of another meme that is like this on another blog, could you please let me know? I don't know of any myself, but if there is one already in place, I'd like to give credit where credit is due!

Library Books read from 6/12/11 - 6/18/11

Semi-Sweet by Roisin Meaney (5 Spot, 4/25/11)

Contemporary Women's Fiction - A book about cupcakes? SOLD. This was a really fun light read. The author is Irish, who has several books out in the UK but this is her first US release and I hope more are on their way. The story deals with many characters which can be a bit confusing at first, but the main character is Hannah, a woman who is about to open a cupcake shop and finds out her husband has cheated on her. Throughout the book we see the lives of all the characters surrounding Hannah and what they are going through. Some of the characters I loved, some I wanted to slap (Nora and Patrick, I'm looking at you), some I thought I hated but then I felt sorry for. It's a good mix. I do wish there had been more cupcake recipes but overall it's a great read and I would love to see a sequel in the future.

Dark Water by Laura McNeal (Knopf Book for Young Readers, 9/14/10)

YA - I can totally see why this book was a finalist for the National Book Award. It's haunting and beautiful. It's a total coming of age story that's written extremely well. Pearl's character has been hurt by her father and then finds love with a Mexican illegal immigrant. Though the beginning is a bit slow, once you get to the heart of the story it moves as fast as the fire in the book does. This was one of the books I had to read for the Nerds Heart YA tournament and it blew away its competition, hence why we moved it forward as our pick.

Comments

  1. I have Semi-Sweet checked out from the library too. The cover immediately caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat