My Library Reads No. 9

My Library Reads is a spotlight on the library books that I have read during the previous week. This is not a post on what books I borrowed but books that I read. Since I don't review library books, this is a way to still be able to showcase them on my blog.

BTW, if anyone knows of another meme that is like this on another blog, could you please let me know? I don't know of any myself, but if there is one already in place, I'd like to give credit where credit is due!

Library Books read from 2/20/11 - 2/26/11


Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 10/12/10)

YA - This is another of those books that I picked up simply because of other book bloggers and all the talk on twitter. It's a split contemporary and historical fiction book, taking place in modern day New York and France and then during the French Revolution. The book starts off with Andi who I found to be incredibly annoying. Seriously, she was such a brat. I understand that her brother had died and that now her whole family has gone dysfunctional but my gosh was she rude. The book gets better when she goes to Paris and discovers Alex's letters and then the whole history of the Lost King. History buffs especially those of the French Revolution will really enjoy this. At times Donnelly's writing is bit dragging but overall it's an engrossing read. The last quarter of the book really flew by for me.

Audiobook:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (Listening Library, 6/21/03)

I honestly think that listening to these books gets better every time I listen to them. This is the 5th time I think I've listened to this book and Jim Dale's voice are so wonderful. His Umbridge makes me want to punch my windshield while I'm driving. The only question I had after listening was this. Ron's uncles were Gideon and Fabian Prewett, who were Molly's twin brothers. They were killed by Dolohov. When the mass breakout from Azkaban occurs, Dolohov is one of those that gets out. It's said that those at Hogwarts who had family members killed or tortured by these Death Eaters were suddenly viewed in the same light as Harry. For example, Susan Bones had an uncle that was killed. Interestingly, it's never mentioned that Ron (or any of the Weasleys) are given this treatment. One would have thought he would have said at least something and I believe it is mentioned in later books that he acknowledges this. So it's really weird to bring up Susan Bones' uncle but not Ron's uncles, who I believe were bigger news when they were killed. Of course the other explanation is that JK Rowling simply forgot about this when she was writing or she hadn't connected the Prewetts to the Weasleys at this point in the series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge