Book Review: "Save the Date" by Jenny B. Jones

Summary from BN.com: Former NFL star Alex Sinclair is a man who has it all--except the votes he needs to win his bid for Congress. Despite their mutual dislike, Alex makes Lucy a proposition: pose as his fiancee in return for the money she desperately needs. Bound to a man who isn't quite what he seems, Lucy will find her heart on the line--and maybe even her life. When God asks Alex and Lucy to scrap their playbook and follow his rules, will they finally say, "I do"?

This book is a new twist on popular boy and nerd girl story. Alex is a former NFL player who is planning on running for office. Lucy is in charge of a Saving Grace, an organization that helps out young women. He needs her because he needs to shed his former playboy image in order to be considered seriously for Congress. She needs him because he will offer her the money to keep Saving Grace running. Therefore the two come up with the idea to be "engaged" to each other and form a relationship that will benefit the two of them. Of course since no plan ever comes off without a hitch there are tons of mishaps that happen along the away.

Amidst the love story is the story of Lucy's own personal background. She finds out that the life she thought she always knew isn't true. The revelations that she discovers bring out a lot of anger, hurt and bitterness as she tries to understand why the people in her life made decisions and chose not to tell her the truth. Lucy's relationship with her new family is bittersweet. There's a lot of hurt that she has to get through before being able to fully accept who she really is.

While I really enjoyed the story, I just was not a fan of Alex and Lucy's entire relationship. I really don't like the way that they got together. Even though Alex has gotten rid of his playboy ways, he's still kind of a jerk. I really hate how he pretty much forces Lucy to be with him with the lure of saving the thing she really wants. I just constantly felt that Lucy never really got to have what she wanted because she felt obligated to be with Alex to save Saving Grace. Also even though maybe it's for the best she didn't end up with Matt, it still irked me that she was not allowed to tell him the truth, at least from the beginning so not to get his hopes up and deceive him. I hate to say this because I love Jenny's other books but it was a rather predictable story line. Luckily Jones has a wonderful way with words and puts a nice twist on the entire story. Still, I knew what was going to happen. I know that's how romantic comedies are going to be and it's understandable. I guess it's probably because I never really grew to like Alex that made it hard for me to buy the story. It does make one think about how much they will do to help others who are in need if they are given the opportunity to save them.

Still even with my qualms, there's lots to love about this book. When the Hobbits first make their appearance, I knew that I had found my people. I was so glad that Lucy is a geek because that really made me love her. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings...oh so much geekness in this book that I wanted to do lots of fist pumps. The pinnacle was having Star Wars music played during a wedding in the book. As someone who did play Star Wars music during her own wedding, I hope that this sets a new standard in wedding music choices.

As usual Jones infuses lots of humor into the book and many zany characters that will keep you giggling all night. The lovely pair of Claire and Julian is a hoot. If you're in the mood for romantic comedy, this it the book for you. I'm thrilled to hear that Jones' next book will be a YA story feature Alex's younger sister! If you know me, you know I cannot wait for it.


Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones is published by Thomas Nelson (2011)

This ARC was provided by a publicist

Comments

  1. I just read a good review of this yesterday -- sounds light and fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge