Nancy Drew Challenge May Recap

The Nancy Drew Challenge is a reading challenge for 2010 for readers to attempt to read all 56 original yellow hardbacks that were in the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories. Click here for more information or to sign up for the challenge. At the end of each month, I will put up a post where participants of the challenge can recap how they did during that month.

May was a slow month for me and Nancy. I have the books from the library but due to going to BEA and doing a reading challenge AND finishing up papers and exams for school, Nancy was last on the list. I did read five of them this month and they were all interesting reads. I think I"m started to get into territory where I've either NEVER read these books before or at the least I've only read them two times or less. I hardly remembered any of these plots.

I KNEW there would be a good reason why I was reading all 56 books in order. The Hidden Window Mystery (no. 34) has almost the exact same opening as Nancy's Mysterious Letter (no. 8). In both books there's a mailman that falls down on the Drews' porch and loses almost all his mail (NML - they get stolen, HWM - the wind blows them away), there's a mystery in it for Nancy that comes through the mail, and there's a woman who blames the mailman for losing her mail. I found it interesting that the book took place in Charlottesville but there was not a single mention of UVA at all.

I found it hilarious that the Amish have even seeped their way into Nancy Drew books. Of course The Witch Tree symbol was written WAY before the latest Amish craze but I find it funny that I can't even escape them here. I don't think though the writer of the book had done a lot of research because there were many aspects of the Amish that were incorrect in the book.

Nancy's starting to travel more..as almost all the books I read this month did NOT take place in River Heights. Papa Drew must have a large income to pay for all her expenses.

How was Nancy Drew for you in May?

Comments

  1. I don't know what happened or even if I can explain it, but this is how I have to report the books that I read this month.
    I read 6 more Nancy books. That makes 13 for me.
    I am really enjoying this light reading. They are very good to read just before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read 21. I am having fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm up to 24 though May was slow for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:06 PM

    I have read 23-28 this month. Started 29 this morning. So that would be 28 so far!
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only just started this month, but I have read books 1 and 2. I have started #3 (but then I misplaced it, grrrr). I am reading other books for other challenges though too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took a break from reading Nancy this month too. As I've read 37 books now, lol. I'm reading some of the 39 clues books and I have to re-read Eclipse before the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am up to book #30 as of the end of May. This month has been a good one for me, as I finished school and had time to run to the library and get a big stack to work on. I want to say that I read about 12 or 13 books this month, but I'm not sure. I'm looking forward to being able to say I did this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat