Book Review: "Plain Pursuit" by Beth Wiseman


Carley Marek experiences culture shock when she visits her friend Lillian's family on their farm deep in Amish country. She will get an article out of the visit--and maybe some of Lillian's newfound peace will somehow rub off on her.

Just when Carley is getting used to the quiet nature of the Plain community, Lillian and Samuel's son falls ill. But the local doctor who can offer the most help has been shunned by the community and forbidden to intervene. As David's condition deteriorates, Dr. Noah determines to do whatever it takes to save the boy's life. Carley is caught in the middle--drawn to Noah, wanting to be helpful in the crisis--and confused by all their talk about a God she neither knows nor trusts.

Carley must decide what in life is worth pursuing . . . and what to do when she's pursued by a love she never expected.

I can't help it. Amish books are my weakness. I know, I know. However I have no desire to become Amish nor do I agree with all their beliefs. In fact I will state when I find something I disagree about. But still, they are good escape reading especially when you want to read something that is comforting.

I did like this book. The characters were all very engaging and interesting to read. Noah's story especially was my favorite. Personally I would have loved to have read his book and read all the juicy secrets of the behind the scenes details of Amish life. I felt really bad for him because he wanted to live the life he felt called to do and his family shunned him instead. I'm really glad that he stays true to his self and doesn't allow guilt from others to change his mind. The drama involving Samuel's son is a bit soap opera-ish at times due to the rapid pace it took off but still made for good reading.

This is not spoiling the story at all but I just wanted to say I was thrilled that no one turned Amish in this book. I have been worried that this series would fall into the stereotype where every non-Amish person that gets a whiff of Amish life suddenly has the desire to give up their life and join the community. If your intentions are true then that's fine but it just seem like it's the latest trend in books. I mean, really, Amish life is more seductive than most romance novels it seems because people can't seem to keep away. Therefore I was more than relieved when Carley showed no interest in giving up her regular life.

I've stated before in my review of the first book in the series that I didn't really like Samuel. During that book I just felt that he came off as very standoffish to me. Well I was right to feel that way because he gets even worse in this book. Throughout the whole book I just wanted to scream at him for being so unreasonable. Also, to be honest I really don't know how Lillian can put up with him. I'm also amazed at how quickly she adapted to the Amish lifestyle. It was like one minute she can't even up her jeans, now she can speak fluent Pennsylvania German.

All in all I am enjoying this series. They are very refreshing reads. While I may not agree with all the beliefs of the Amish, this series doesn't try to make me feel guilty for that. Plus there's tons of food mentioned in the book, which as I've said before is always a plus in my book. This book is a great way to escape for the weekend. If you're an Amish fan, you'll enjoy this one.


Plain Pursuit by Beth Wiseman is published by Thomas Nelson (2009)

This review copy was provided by the publisher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat