Book Review: "Lost in Las Vegas" by Melody Carlson


In a whirlwind, DJ accepts “lonely” Taylor’s invitation to join her mom’s tour in Las Vegas during Christmas break. DJ soon discovers that the unsupervised Taylor is focused on one thing only—partying with a capital “P.” She’s invited Eliza, too, and DJ is quickly overwhelmed by the behavior of the wild duo. Desperate, she calls on Casey for help and prays for a miracle to help Taylor before she self-destructs.

This book pretty much is the downfall of Taylor. It's been foreshadowed since the day we met her in the first book. Seriously, this girl is totally uninhibited and just out to have a good time. However she goes for the extreme in whatever she does and doesn't seem to care about the consequences. I really could not stand her condescending attitude towards DJ just because she doesn't want to drink or anything else Taylor does. It had nothing to do with DJ being a Christian, she just knew that it wasn't healthy and it was dangerous. Yet Taylor keeps acting like she's the cool one and DJ is a freak for not joining her. Therefore DJ feels that she has to be always on the watch for Taylor and can't enjoy everything because she's like the baby sitter. The whole story just builds up until the ending when Taylor finally realizes that she has a problem.

While I enjoyed this book, at the same time there's also a bit of a fantasy with the situation. Maybe it's just me, but there would have been no way, I would have been allowed to go to Las Veags at that age, let alone be on my own while there. It just seemed very unrealistic for a bunch of 16 year old girls to be on their own around in that city and no one really questioning them. Also DJ's grandmother is REALLY getting on my nerves. Seriously, throughout the entire series all she cares about is looks and making the right connections instead of being concerned about the girls' safety. I cannot wait until she gets a reality check.

Overall though, I have enjoyed this series and this one seems to be the edgiest one of all. I think it really speaks to teens and shows what they go through. Also I really like the cover, I think it's the first time I've ever seen fishnets on a Christian fiction book! I would recommend this book and the rest of the series for older teens.

Lost in Las Vegas by Melody Carlson is published by Zondervan (2009)

This review copy was provided by the publisher

Comments

  1. And if you get fishnets dancers wear, they won't tear. Don't ask me how I know that. JK! I heard someone say it on T.V. I'm still reading my way through this series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge