My Library Reads No. 17

My Library Reads is a spotlight on the library books that I have read during the previous week. This is not a post on what books I borrowed but books that I read. Since I don't review library books, this is a way to still be able to showcase them on my blog.

BTW, if anyone knows of another meme that is like this on another blog, could you please let me know? I don't know of any myself, but if there is one already in place, I'd like to give credit where credit is due!

Library Books read from 7/3/11 - 7/10/11

Back When You Were Easier to Love by Emily Wing Smith (Dutton Juvenile, 4/28/11)

YA - Even if I didn't have to read this book for the YA Contemps challenge, I still probably would have picked up this book based on the cover alone. Having worked in a library, I love those stools and the cartoonish cover with books calls out to me. And the story does start off with a love of books, libraries and bookshelves!

It's all too easy for me to say negative things about Joy's relationship with Zan and how it borders on obsessiveness. But then I remember when I was that age and acted exactly the same way. Oh how much we've grown. I loved how her relationship with Noah changes throughout the book and I wish the both of them well. Road trip stories always fascinate me because when you have to be with a person for so long of a time in such a little space, you really get to know the person. I did laugh when Joy tries to focus on something to get over Zan and she chooses a minute physical imperfection because that's something I used to do too (that sounds horrible but usually it was a very minor thing, like toenails).

Something I found interesting in this book was how much of the Mormon faith is mentioned throughout the story. Joy talks a lot about her faith, the rules of Mormonism and the fact that those who are not of the faith can be seen as outsiders. I never felt that I was being preached at. In fact, I became more curious about the fact that they weren't allowed to drink caffeinated sodas or coffee. I just found it interesting that a lot of YA readers seem to be ok with talk about the Mormon faith in books but not with Christian fiction YA books.

Overall, a fun read and I look forward to more from Smith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge