Book Review: "Touching the Clouds" by Bonnie Leon

Kate Evans is an adventurous and independent young woman with a pioneering spirit. She pilots a mail-delivery plane in the forbidding Alaskan wilderness, the lone woman in a male profession. But even that seems easy compared to finding true love. She likes a fellow pilot and would even consider marrying him—if it weren't for Paul, a mysterious man on her mail route with a gentle spirit and a past to hide. Can Kate break through the walls Paul has put up around his heart? And will her quest for adventure be her demise?

I have to say, after finishing this book, I think it's Bonnie Leon's best novel to date. I had a really good time reading this book. After several series that took place in Australia, Leon returns to the setting of her earlier novels, Alaska. To me, I felt that the author enjoyed returning to the familiar setting because the story just seemed to flow with fluidity. I never got bored once while reading, and neither did I feel that the story seemed to have a slow point. Kate is a very likable character and I felt drawn to her immediately. She doesn't try to force herself into a predominately man's world but she is willing to prove herself to be on par. I really liked the settings of the towns and people Kate meets along the way during her travels. The book was very respectful of the native Alaskans and their culture and I enjoyed learning about them.

What I liked best about the book is that a story is able to be told without having to bring in major conflict from an antagonist. Kate was struggling with her own feelings and thoughts which was more than enough to create a story. It's nice to not have to introduce another plot line just to feel as if you have to include it. The only thing I didn't like was the love triangle bit because it is always inevitable that someone was going to get hurt. Usually it is the person who doesn't deserve it at all mainly because they were kept in the dark about other people's feelings. It's a element used in a lot of romance novels and Christian fiction that I find tiring, cliched and annoying. Therefore I hope that future books in the series allow that person to find someone else.

Overall I really enjoyed the book. Leon's writing is engaging and she portrays Kate as a strong female who is daring and willing to take risks. Unnecessary drama wasn't included and there were no annoying characters either. As it's been several years since I read Leon's other books that took place in Alaska, I'm not sure if there are any ties to other books. I felt that this book was of better quality than the two Australian series. I'm going to be looking to future books in this series and reading more about adventures in the Alaskan wild.

Touching the Clouds by Bonnie Leon is published by Revell (2010)

This review copy was provided by the publisher

Comments

  1. Hi Deborah.

    Your review is a great encouragement to me. I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book.

    I did have a good time writing it, although the flying sequences were difficult. I couldn't have done it without Gayle Ranney's help. She's been a bush pilot for nearly fifty years.

    I have a great contest running on my website at www.bonnieleon.com until July 25th called Take Flight. If you've ever wanted to pilot your own plane, stop in a have a look.

    Blessings,

    Bonnie Leon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the book! I want to be a bush pilot in alaska as well so this was a perfect read for me! Bonnie, you are an amazing writer and never once did i find myself bored. I loved the characters and the whole time i felt like i was the one flying in alaska! please, please hurry with book 2 i can hardly wait.
    By the way do you have any idea when in might be out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken. Sorry if this took me a long time to get back to you on this--I've been laid up for three months, but getting better.

    I'm thrilled that you loved the book! Thanks for letting me know.

    Book two is scheduled for release early summer 2011. I know it seems like a long time, but the months will fly by and before you know it Wings of Promise will land on bookstore shelves.

    Sign up for my Table Talk newsletter on my website at www.bonnieleon.com and I'll make sure you know the release date.

    Blessings to you and happy flying.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOUCHING THE CLOUDS by Bonnie Leon is an Inspirational Historical Romance set in 1930 Alaska wilderness.This is the first in the Alaska Skies series. It is well written with depth and details. It is very descriptive with scenes of Alaska and its territory in the early days. It has adventure, faith, romance, dreams, struggles with faith and past hurts, courage, determination, and spirit. It is about the struggles of a young female pilot named Kate, who dreams of becoming an Alaskan Bush pilot and finding her true spirit. She is spunky, fearless, adventurous, and determined to prove herself as a bush pilot. Paul is strong, lonely, grieving from his past loses, mysterious and his faith has dwindled. Their are a host of other characters who are just as interesting throughout this story, for they are a lively, adventurous, and full of spirit bunch. It you enjoy adventure, romance and exciting wild cast of characters you will enjoy this one. I would recommend this book for it will encourage your faith and leave you with a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

The Nancy Drew Challenge

Triple Threat