Book Review: "A Most Unsuitable Match" by Stephanie Grace Whitson

Summary from BN.com: An unlikely attraction occurs between two passengers on a steamboat journey up the Missouri River to Montana...

She is a self-centered young woman from a privileged family who fears the outdoors and avoids anything rustic. He is a preacher living under a sense of duty and obligation to love the unlovable people in the world. She isn't letting anything deter her from solving a family mystery that surfaced after her mother's death. He is on a mission to reach the rejects of society in the remote wilderness regions of Montana. Miss Fannie Rousseau and Reverend Samuel Beck are opposites in every way... except in how they both keep wondering if their paths will ever cross again.

I've enjoyed almost all of Stephanie Grace Whitson's historical fiction novels simply because of her writing. She is able to draw the reader into the story and write about characters who you care for. This novel is no different as we meet two very different people who find themselves drawn together in unusual circumstances.

Samuel is an overall good guy with a good heart. I enjoyed reading about his adventures throughout the story and was a bit saddened at what happened near the end. I have to disagree a bit with the summary description of Fannie. It says that she is self-centered. I would call her highly sheltered and pampered. There's a difference. It's not that she thinks of herself and not others. It's more like she's been raised to have others fend for her instead of doing the things herself. However as it's evident throughout the book, Fannie does have a good heart and wants to help out even though she may not know how to actually do it. The mystery of her family is quite interesting and I enjoyed her search to find out the truth.

I only had one small qualm about the story. It felt like every time I turned around, Fannie had fainted. Nowhere in the story is it explained that she has an illness or a condition that causes her to faint. Therefore I can only assume that the fainting spells are being used as a romantic device because Fannie tends to wake up near a man's arms when it happens.

Call me strange but other than social class standing, I really don't understand why a match between Fannie and Sam would be an unsuitable match. He seems like a good guy and the type of man that she needs in her life. Another thing I was confused about is the epilogue. I don't understand who the first part of the epilogue is referring to and I feel like I'm slow for not catching on immediately. Perhaps someone else who has read it can explain it to me. Still, it's an enjoyable book and a nice light read.

A Most Unsuitable Match by Stephanie Grace Whitson is published by Bethany House (2011)

This review copy was provided for a tour with the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge