Book Review: "Third Time's a Charm" by Virgina Smith

Tori Sanderson has the professional opportunity of a lifetime. If she can prove she's executive material, she's in line for a big promotion. But there's only room for one new account executive, and her co-worker has his eye on the job--and on Tori. Her matchmaking sisters have a handsome handyman in mind for her. But how can she consider romance when she couldn't hold on to the one man who was supposed to love her forever--her own father? The time has come for answers, and Tori decides to search out the father who deserted her twelve years ago. While Tori may find the answers she craves, will she ever be able to love again?

I have really enjoyed reading the Sister to Sister series by Virginia Smith. This is mainly because I am part of a three sister family so I could easily relate to what the sisters were going through. This time, it's the youngest of the sisters who gets to share their story. Tori's over fast paced career is none too familiar for her age group. It's amazing how some companies and bosses expect you to work round the clock 24/7 and still think you haven't done enough. Competition is cutthroat in these types of businesses and it's completely possible to overwork yourself to do beyond your best and it's still not enough. I could understand Tori's sisters' concern over her working too much and not being fully compensated in terms of rest. However I personally did not like their interfering with her love life. While things might have worked out for the best, I thought at times they went a bit overboard with constantly calling Ryan for updates. If I was Ryan I would have found it really annoying. As it stands, I personally would never try to set up any of my sisters much less keep contacting their date, because I know that they would kill me if you they found out what I was doing!

I really liked Tori perhaps even more so than her other two sisters. One thing I found quite interesting was Tori's reaction to her sister's hasty marriage. She suspects that the reason why they are getting married very fast is due to since the two are both Christians they are doing this so they can have sex faster. Why this might not be the case between Joan and Ken, I do know for a fact that is the sole reason as to why a good deal of Christians marry after a short dating relationship. Therefore I can see why Tori would be very hesitant about seeing this marriage as being welcoming. The story doesn't have a typically happy ending. The issue with the girls' father, while complete, is never really fully resolved the way they and the reader would have liked. I understood the anger and hurt that took place at the revealing of the truth about the girls' father and I could see why there was much pain on all sides. However this is a more realistic outcome and much more satisfying than a fairy tale ending.

I'm really sad that this series is over. I've grown to love the Sanderson sisters and seeing them change throughout the course of the series. The story is just really fun to read and you just don't want it to end. I know though that whatever Virginia writes next will be just as fabulous to read. If you have sisters or have ever wanted one, you will definitely enjoy reading this series.

Third Time's a Charm by Virginia Smith is published by Revell (2010)

This review copy was provided by the publisher

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:13 PM

    I agree, I could've read a few more in this series!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge