Book Review: "The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down" by Neta Jackson


Real Life Fiction

The Yada Yada Prayer Group has been meeting for a while now and everyone is starting to get used to each other. Even though the group is very diverse, friendships are beginning to flourish and everyone is starting to open up little by little. But then one night at a group meeting, a woman comes into Jodi's house and threatens the group with a knife causing many old wounds to be opened in the group. Other issues with racism, anger, and trust put the group through a tough time as it tests all how strong is their friendship and their faith.

First off, I love love love the Yada Yada book series. I wish I was in a group like this. I love how this book series is very daring in the topics it chooses. Racism is something that most Christian books avoid because it's a touchy subject. Since the book is told from Jodi's POV, it's very easy to take her side on the issue with Ma Dear, Denny, and Adele. You get frustrated with everyone for not communicating with each other, yet at the same time you realize why both sides act the way they do. I also love how the group visits the different churches. It's nice to see them in the setting of a different denominations and have a new worship experience. Again since Jodi is the main character, you feel her pain and frustration. I felt the same way she did about certain issues. Some of the other characters seem a little too perfect at times, like how they are immediately ready to forgive Becky for what she did to them. I know that we should forgive those who hurt us, but It didn't seem realistic that people would be willing to open up their arms like that so soon. Sometimes you feel that since there are so many women in the group, it's hard to keep track of them all. I keep mixing up some of them or I forgot who's even in the group. I think that Jodie herself mentions this issue about whether or not the group is too big to keep close relationships with everyone. But it's really cool how diverse the group is, all races and ages are represented allowing readers of all ages to enjoy the book.

If you haven't already read the first book in the series, I definitely recommend it. This series is one of my favorites, the books are page-turners, you laugh, you cry, you get angry, you get irritated, it's like reading a slice of real life.

The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down by Neta Jackson is published by Thomas Nelson (2004)

Comments

  1. This is hands down my favorite series. We've even started a prayer group like it.

    I'm with you on the Becky thing. I thought it was a bit of a stretch and frustrating as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll answer your question on my blog and here: I'm assuming you have the new blogger then go to your DASHBOARD 2. Template 3. Add page element (up pops the "choose a new page element page) look for 4. labels, click add to blog.

    There you go, your labels will instantly appear on your blog. Second thought, I'll just answer your question here. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge