Book Review: "The Potluck Club" by Linda Evans Shepherd and Eva Marie Everson



Don't forget to enter to win the contest for Dark Hour by Ginger Garrett. Leave a comment with an email address at the CFBA post or the FIRST post by Sunday night and I'll announce the winners on Monday, October 9. Good luck!

Books about food are always good

I've always been the type of person that enjoys a good book when eating. Somehow reading a book about food always makes the meal tastier even if what I'm reading isn't what I'm eating. "The Potluck Club" is another one of those great eating/reading books. It even comes complete with recipes from the dishes mentioned in the story in case you get a hankering for beef brisket, cinnamon rolls or broccoli casserole. I really enjoyed this book. It gave the story from many different angles, with the characters all have different personalities. The premise of the story deals with a group of women meeting together for prayer and potluck. The women are real, experiencing funny and heartbreaking events together. Each character has a background story that they try to keep secret from the others. I am very glad that the book did not fault Goldie for her decision in her situation with her husband. Other books would have let the matter slide by or have Goldie give in. My favorite scene in the book dealt with a certain bear and a chocolate cake. I had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard. (Of course if I had been in that situation I wouldn't be.)

My only complaint was the character of Clay. I'm not sure why his viewpoint is in the story. I understand he's a newspaper journalist trying to get a story for the paper, but he just came across as annoying, nosy, and stalkerish. I also hope the conflict with Lisa Leann and Evangeline is either resolved or more fleshed out. This is a good book for women, perfect for a book club to read and discuss over a potluck! and yes! the library just got book 2 in.

The Potluck Club by Linda Evans Shepherd and Eva Marie Everson is published by Revell (2005)

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Thanks for sharing about this book! It is one of the books on my bookshelf that I haven't read yet. Glad to hear that you liked it. It does sound like a good book club book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you about books about food!!! Thanks for the review--I haven't read this one yet.
    Camy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your thoughts. Comments on posts that are older than 14 days are moderated so don't worry if your comment doesn't show up automatically.

Popular posts from this blog

Lost Mission by Athol Dickson

Triple Threat

The Nancy Drew Challenge